The Football thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: The Football thread

Postby JJ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 am

I thought you were a ManUre fan, Galen?
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby redblue100 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I am JJ yes! But I started taking my son to Wycombe about 7 years ago when he was too young to travel to OT and it's kind of stuck now. Actually I prefer gong there than OT these days, players have actual passion for the club!!
redblue100

Postby JJ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 am

Good stuff, Galen. I play football with a Wycombe fan.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Knowlesy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 am

Pauline wrote:Just feel that i have to say...... I’ve not abandoned The Blades due to their current bad run!

My partner of eight years, who got me into this crazy football thing, passed away suddenly in November. I can’t face going to a game without him =( But he made me a Blade, and they’ll be in my heart always :)

We were supposed to go to the Sheffield Derby next Friday, on what would have been his 50th birthday, but I just can’t do it. So instead, I’ll be out with his family, raising a glass to him, with half an eye on a Twitter, praying for a win!

Please feel free to will us to win, if you don’t mind!

My condolences to you Pauline on the loss of your partner.
Knowlesy

Postby redblue100 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 pm

JJ wrote:Good stuff, Galen. I play football with a Wycombe fan.

Ha ha awesome! They get everywhere it seems!!
redblue100

Postby sarah t » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

SubHuman wrote:
Danny C wrote:Southampton are looking increasingly doomed.

Good.

Their current manager doesn't seem to have what it takes to manage in the premier league, but you could also say that about Mark Hughes.

It looks as though any of the teams up to and including Watford could go down if they hit a long losing streak.

The local 'Southern Daily Echo' newspaper held an opinion pole and 'the fans' voted 71% in favour of Southampton getting relegated this season. On the evidence of the, to put it mildly, tepid, performances so far I would agree that things do indeed look very bleak although there are other teams in a worse situation already occupying the bottom three places in the table. I strongly believe we have some great players in the squad (Boufal, Austin, Gabbiadini and Yoshida to name but four) but it all comes down to the lack of clear direction from [manager] Pellegrino whom when I listen to him being interviewed clearly does not, in any way, engender any confidence in his ability to lead the team. Some of his recent substitution decisions are bizarre to say the least and has pundits on BBC Radio Solent frustratedly 'up-in-arms' as to where he is taking us. At a time when Southampton fans should be getting excited by the ambitious plans of the Chinese owners for the future of the club the error of appointing this manager could ultimately prove very costly if there is not a reversal of fortunes for the remainder of the season.

Relegation is never pleasant for any team, primarily due to the loss of earnings, but perhaps 'Saints' return to the Championship might be just what they need to mentally regroup and come back stronger to the Premier League.

Sorry I just felt I had to have a bit of a rant, I feel better to get that out of my system.
sarah t

Postby Pauline » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm

GAH! Oh well, at least we didn’t lose.....
Pauline

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Watched the Bournemouth 2 Arsenal 1 match the other day, Arsenal looked very ordinary without Sanchez and Ozil.
SubHuman

Previous

Return to General discussion