2017... Formula 1 thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:34 am

Just to let you guys know that things get moving later this month with...

Launch schedule
February 21: Renault
February 22: Force India
February 23: Mercedes
February 24: Ferrari
February 24: McLaren
February 26: Toro Rosso

...and then we have

Pre-season test schedule
February 27: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
February 28: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
March 1: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
March 2: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
March 7: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
March 8: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
March 9: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
March 10: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

before we finally get underway with the season proper which this year looks like this...

F1 calendar
March 26: Melbourne, Australia
April 9: Shanghai, China
April 16: Bahrain, Bahrain
April 30: Sochi, Russia
May 14: Barcelona, Spain
May 28: Monte Carlo, Monaco
June 11: Montreal, Canada
June 25: Baku, Azerbaijan
July 9: Spielberg, Austria
July 16: Silverstone, United Kingdom
July 30: Budapest, Hungary
August 27: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
September 3: Monza, Italy
September 17: Singapore, Singapore
October 1: Sepang, Malaysia
October 8: Suzuka, Japan
October 22: Austin, USA
October 29: Mexico City, Mexico
November 12: Sao Paolo, Brazil
November 26: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

;)
sarah t

Re: 2017... Formula 1 thread

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Another year another formula 1 season. Can't understand why formula 1 is going to Russia with all the controversy surrounding the regime. I suppose it's a contractual obligation.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:16 am

It's on my bucket list to do a F1 GP, but I fear my best chance of that* without incurring squillions in expenses has gone. *I used to insure a few F1 teams as contractual bonus risks, so could probably have got a corporate thing to one of them.

When did they stop going to Imola / San Marino? And did the Austrian circuit used to be called something else (A-Ring or something?)

I'm glad Rosberg won't be there this year, and supporting the Brit I'll be hoping for a Hamilton championship win.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Wasn't Imola and San Marino for the GP of Europe, perhaps Sarah remembers?

I think that the toing and froing is connect with money ultimately, either who stumps up the most cash to Bernie or who can afford the latest safety changes to the circuit. Brands Hatch dropped out over circuit issues, the British GP used to alternate between Silverstone and Brands. There used to be a Sicilian GP and a Dutch GP, can't remember the names of the circuits. In the past it was suggested that the British GP could use the IoM TT circuit, great idea but total impractical on safety grounds.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I think the Dutch one was Zaandvoort?
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:57 am

JJ wrote:I think the Dutch one was Zaandvoort?

Correct. You just jogged my memory and I couldn't remember how it was spelt.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am

SubHuman wrote:Wasn't Imola and San Marino for the GP of Europe, perhaps Sarah remembers?

Nope don't think they ever had the European GP tag to them
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:38 am

Thought you all might be interested in a list of all the locations that have held Grand Prix races over the past, well since 1950 at any rate. There were a few I'd forgotten about: Morocco, Mosport, Bugatti, Aintree etc. I think over the years many former circuits dropped out because of the cost with new safety regulations:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... e_circuits

It looks as though Ferrari may have caught up with Mercedes this year, although Christian Horner thinks that both teams have been sandbagging. Still we'll find out on the 26th barring accidents.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:28 am

Shame LH got stuffed up by the pit stop. But he achieved being only the second driver ever to have been in the lead for 3,000 F1 laps.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Shock horror, Lewis and Mercedes fail to win at Melbourne. Bit of a surprise after he dominated practice and qualifying. The Ferraris seemed to be kinder to their tyres, and Vettel certainly had the pace to stay ahead after Hamilton's race was compromised by an early stop for tyres. Looks like we may be in for a more interesting 2017 season with Red Bull also not far off the pace of a certain Ferrari driver. Great shame that Alonso had to retire with car suspension problems.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 am

Hardly the most exciting of races to start the season with Mercedes clearly getting the pit lane call on Hamilton at the wrong time... this I think was what cost him the race stuck behind Verstappen for such a long time. You can't read too much into a first race but straight from the off Ferrari look like a genuine title contender but the difference between Vettel and Kimi is clear to see, one is hungry and the other should have retired a year or two ago. Good debut for Bottas closing Lewis down to finish about a second off him.

Yes indeed great shame about Alonso, he clearly made the difference from an inferior McLaren and it was fun to see him grimly defending that 10th position lap after lap. Heartbreaking for Richardo whose Red Bull wouldn't get off the grid and despite the pit crew getting it going and pottering around two laps down on everyone else he sadly retired... not the kind of home race he was hoping for. Also I'd like to say that worthy of praise was the surprisingly strong performance of Lance Stroll with the Williams driver starting from the back but making impressive gains getting him up to 13th... so sorry that his car gave up on him but safe pair of hands Massa gained some points, not bad for a guy whom retired for 50 days before coming back!

Hopefully China will be much more satisfying and rewarding for getting up to switch the BBC Radio 5Live coverage on in a couple of weeks time.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:54 pm

The race was a bit processional lets hope we get more overtaking elsewhere. Agree about Raikkonen he should have retired, I'm surprised that Ferrari kept him on. The decision to come in was taken by Hamilton whose tyres were shot.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:10 am

Hamilton on pole again for China but will Vettel have the better race pace?

" F1 faces an engine revolution". This last a strap line from Motorsport News and "Formula 1 could be set to ditch its unpopular V6 hybrid engines in time for the next rules cycle in 2021 after the FIA and manufacturers agree a plan to make engines louder, cheaper and more dramatic". This may see a change to 5 litre V8 naturally aspirated engines that might tempt the likes of BMW, GM and Ford to come in as engine suppliers.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

So Hamilton won in China, but because of the problems in practice and at the start of the race with a wet track we didn't learn too much, other than that the Mercedes and Ferrari cars are very close in performance. Verstappen also confirmed how good a driver he is, I expect either Mercedes or Ferrari to make Red Bull an offer they can't refuse for him at some point.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Hamilton v Verstappen both in Mercedes would be fun to watch.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:44 am

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the outcome of the Bahrain GP. On paper you would have expected Hamilton to win this with Bottas 2nd. But it was not to be: a combination of equipment malfunction for Mercedes and Ferrari taking a gamble on the undercut and getting a safety car at the right time ensured Vettel went onto win. I don't know what Raikkonen is doing but if he doesn't improve his finishing positions it's going to scupper Ferrari's chances of winning the manufacturers championship, regardless of what Vettel manages.

We're certainly getting an interesting season developing this time, any bets on who will win the drivers championship?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am

SubHuman wrote:I'm surprised that no one has commented on the outcome of the Bahrain GP. On paper you would have expected Hamilton to win this with Bottas 2nd. But it was not to be: a combination of equipment malfunction for Mercedes and Ferrari taking a gamble on the undercut and getting a safety car at the right time ensured Vettel went onto win. I don't know what Raikkonen is doing but if he doesn't improve his finishing positions it's going to scupper Ferrari's chances of winning the manufacturers championship, regardless of what Vettel manages.

We're certainly getting an interesting season developing this time, any bets on who will win the drivers championship?

Yeah I know its very early but I guess we will see it split with Vettel getting the drivers title and Mercedes getting the constructors.
:/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:I'm surprised that no one has commented on the outcome of the Bahrain GP. On paper you would have expected Hamilton to win this with Bottas 2nd. But it was not to be: a combination of equipment malfunction for Mercedes and Ferrari taking a gamble on the undercut and getting a safety car at the right time ensured Vettel went onto win. I don't know what Raikkonen is doing but if he doesn't improve his finishing positions it's going to scupper Ferrari's chances of winning the manufacturers championship, regardless of what Vettel manages.

Yeah I know its very early but I guess we will see it split with Vettel getting the drivers title and Mercedes getting the constructors.
:/

I wouldn't bet on Vettel winning the drivers champ., not with Hamilton around. Vettel got lucky in Bahrain, Mercedes still have the edge in terms of raw speed and Bottas could have been 1st or 2nd without the tyre pressure problem. But it's going to be an interesting season, if only Ferrari could swop Raikkonen for Verstappen!
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:25 am

Just been watching practice for the Russian GP, look out Mercedes Ferrari are coming after you!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am

Great to see Mercedes 'new boy' Bottas out qualify and out race Hamilton and resist the consistent pressure from Vettel to get his first win!

Seemed like the usual suspects retiring from the race, shame Alonso didn't even get to start... good race for Force India as well. :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Yeah, great win for Bottas, but after the initial start phase it got a bit processional at the front with none of the leading four managing to pass the guy in front. Bottas had the measure of Vettel, ditto Vettel on Raikkonen and Hamilton seemed to have multiple car issues all through the meet. Still it's shaping up to be a fascinating season, we've no idea who will win the drivers or the constructors championships!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu May 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Just been watching the Spanish GP highlights on catch-up and my word Hamilton didn't half have to work very hard to get that win! Elsewhere not that much was memorable apart from the squabble coming out of the pits between Sainz and Magnussen, clearly the former was in the wrong there whilst the latter radio coms was quite emotional and made me laugh. Nice gesture from Ferrari towards the 'little boy' fan whom was in tears when Kimi clashed with Verstappen on the opening lap and retired. Clearly made his day meeting his hero and being a guest in the pit garage and up close under the podium at the end of the race. Stunning qualifying and delight to finally finish a race for local driver Alonso even though it was only 12th place and throwing team caps out into the crowd, something for the Spanish fans to enjoy.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat May 20, 2017 12:06 am

After Vettel got past Hamilton at the start of the Spanish GP it look as if he had enough speed in hand to finish in front. However, part way through the first stint Mercedes changed their tyre strategy so that Hamilton was on the soft compound in the last stint while Vettel was on the medium compound. This enabled Hamilton to pass Vettel and hang on for the win. Great shame that Bottas retired with engine failure from third place. This race again showed how close Ferrari and Mercedes are in terms of car performance. It looks like the advantage will swing back and forth this season unless one or other of the main contenders comes up with a killer upgrade.
SubHuman

Return to General discussion