General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Postby Electric Dream » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 am

cs15 wrote:Two decent tracks. Good live?

VERY! Much more powerful than on CD too :)
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:32 am

After the build up I was distinctly underwhelmed by Me The Tiger. They have been around for a few years it seems and there are more tracks on YouTube, the trouble is they only seem to have one backing package and one BPM so I imagine a whole album would get a bit boring. Having said that they do have a clean bright sound and you can hear the singer clearly. I shall try listening to some more of their output.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:21 pm

I've just noticed that Alison Moyet's solo albums are being dusted off and given the 2-CD deluxe edition treatment and are set for release on 25th November 2016. I'm tempted by 'Alf' https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M10KAG7/ref=pd_bxgy_15_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FK4DXT70Q0CXBQK6XDMC and 'Raindancing' https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0D475K/ref=pd_bxgy_15_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S33P1WGSNNC4B8Y4CM78, the latter I have the original release but more content is most welcome as a replacement. :)

Anyone else tempted???
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Yes, Sandra's a big fan of Alison so I've pre-ordered the 2cd version of Alf to see what these new releases are like. I also ordered Big Thing by Blue Zone, I've been looking around for something by this group for a while. :)
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:24 am

Having seen it on Amazon I thought it would be easy and more convenient to go to our local HMV store and order a copy of the first Altered Images album 'Happy Birthday (plus)', the 1981 album re-released in 2004. I have the other two ('Pinky Blue' and 'Bite') Can't believe that it is not on their computer system, very disappointed with this so consoled myself by picking up the current issue of Autosport with it's F1 2016 season review for £3.80.
:/
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:26 am

Just seen the 1983 edition of 'History of Rock' this morning and IMO apart from the feature on cover issue singer [David] Bowie and a few good single (three provided by Marc Almond (talking about Bowie's 'Let's Dance' and Duran Duran 'Is There Something I Should Know')), album and live gig reviews I found it rather disappointing. :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:45 am

This might be of interest to some our you:

https://www.sofarsounds.com/London

Never heard of Sofar before, they were on the BBC News tv channel this morning.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Just been listening to my recently purchased copy of Simple Minds CD 'Sons and Fascination'/'Sister Feelings Call'. For one or two of the tracks seem a bit raw and unpolished but I absolutely love the beautiful 'Seeing Out The Angel' and great ambience of instrumental 'Theme For Great Cities'. It is all new for me although I am familiar with the marvellous singles 'Love Song' and 'The American' which continue to shine.

Perhaps someone can help me out here? I don't know how the 15 songs were originally divided between the two albums and there is nothing on the case or enclosed booklet as to when the material was first released/recorded.

That aside this is a fantastic re-issue weighing in at a stonkingly impressive 79 mins... not bad for on £5 from an Amazon seller, great result!!! =D =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm very happy because I have just found a 'best of' CD from a Scottish band whom have recently featured on 'Forgotten 80s' but didn't have too much chart success during the decade and the Amazon seller is only asking £7.61. I'll let you know when I get it who they are... ain't I a tease! ;)
sarah t

Postby Murfy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:25 pm

sarah t wrote:Perhaps someone can help me out here? I don't know how the 15 songs were originally divided between the two albums and there is nothing on the case or enclosed booklet as to when the material was first released/recorded.

Hi Sarah - The following link should answer all your questions : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_and_ ... lings_Call

Cheers,
Murf x
Murfy

Postby sarah t » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:21 am

Murfy wrote:
sarah t wrote:Perhaps someone can help me out here? I don't know how the 15 songs were originally divided between the two albums and there is nothing on the case or enclosed booklet as to when the material was first released/recorded.

Hi Sarah - The following link should answer all your questions : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_and_ ... lings_Call

Cheers,
Murf x

That's fantastic, thanks very much for the link! ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 pm

sarah t wrote:I'm very happy because I have just found a 'best of' CD from a Scottish band whom have recently featured on 'Forgotten 80s' but didn't have too much chart success during the decade and the Amazon seller is only asking £7.61. I'll let you know when I get it who they are... ain't I a tease! ;)

I was thinking Big Country but apparently they were more successful than I remembered.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:I'm very happy because I have just found a 'best of' CD from a Scottish band whom have recently featured on 'Forgotten 80s' but didn't have too much chart success during the decade and the Amazon seller is only asking £7.61. I'll let you know when I get it who they are... ain't I a tease! ;)

I was thinking Big Country but apparently they were more successful than I remembered.

Well I guess I had better answer this... been listening for about a week to 'Throw The Warped Wheel Out', a2013 reissue of the 1983 album from Fiction Factory whom are best known as a one-hit wonder with "(Feels Like) Heaven".

Like to get more for your money when you buy a CD? Well as this is a Cherry Pop release we get another nine tracks which nudges the total running time to almost 78 mins. We have the usual excellently detailed accompanying booklet and in the sixteen pages you'll find three pages of track notes from band members Kevin Patterson, three and a half pages of song lyrics, two pages of full UK single/album discography plus a couple of magazine extracts and the full five piece band photo.

As to the music I'm very happy to add this pleasant mostly synth pop sound to my music collection which is at times sounding like Kajajogoo and The Associates (some tracks reminiscent of the late, great Billy McKenzie). The track that really fired my interest to hear more of this band was 'Ghost of Love' featured here as an album track and instrumental Special Dance Mix which I first heard on Absolute 80s DAB radio show 'Forgotten 80s' as a 'Didn't we Have it All' choice for 1983.
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 am

Well I think I'll have to check out Fiction Factory based on your observations Sarah. Feels Like Heaven occasionally crops up on YouTube and I quite like it.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:04 am

How are you feeling about the Fiction Factory 1st album Sarah, now you've had time to get to know it? I'm really liking (Feels Like) Heaven:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm_TWlZhCYU

Ghost Of Love is also pretty good:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdeDap1lXQ
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon May 01, 2017 6:42 am

Massive Attack have achieved their wish as the management of the Colston Hall in Bristol decided to rename the venue after a petition was presented to them calling the name "toxic". It will be a hollow victory as the name of the Colston avenue, the school and above all the statue will remain to remind Bristolians of the past.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 am

Is it being renamed The Graveyard? ;)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 02, 2017 12:54 am

JJ wrote:Is it being renamed The Graveyard? ;)

I don't think they have decided on a new name yet and it won't happen until 2020. I'm thinking of suggesting Terribly PC or the Adolf Hitler Memorial Venue.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu May 04, 2017 1:36 am

Change of subject, I'm thinking of compiling a multi-volume CD-R set with my most favourite singles on it. All of the decades since I become interested in rock and pop music. This could become enormous so I might limit the numbers to twenty per decade, or something like that. Has anyone else on the forum attempted this sort of thing and what did you put on the set? :p
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri May 12, 2017 10:37 am

As usual a vast mountain of CD's in the Oxfam stockroom, a large number of which came in early this week. Sifting through and sorting them into four distinct categories (classical/spoken word, pop, easy listening and film/tv soundtracks) for the stockroom shelf there were some very pleasing titles amongst the IMO vast dross we get donated.

The four of particular interest are, in no special order...

The Cure - Mixed Up (1990) 11 remixed tracks at roughly 73 mins
Kosheen - Kokopelli (2003)
New Order - Best of... (1994)
Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years (1989)
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun May 14, 2017 12:30 am

Simple Mind's Street Fighting Years is an excellent cd. I like most of their output.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Can't believe it, amongst a big box of CD's passed on from another Oxfam shop because it would not sell is...

OMD - History of Modern (2010)

What a marvellous find today! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 am

For any of you with rather deep pockets I was astonished to discover this is coming out in August 2017...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071X934SM/ref=pe_1229701_200855121_em_1p_1_im

Looks absolutely incredible but for the present just out of my reach I am afraid but great to see it soon on sale... hopefully Amazon sellers will be able to knock down that initial price.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 am

sarah t wrote:For any of you with rather deep pockets I was astonished to discover this is coming out in August 2017...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071X934SM/ref=pe_1229701_200855121_em_1p_1_im

Looks absolutely incredible but for the present just out of my reach I am afraid but great to see it soon on sale... hopefully Amazon sellers will be able to knock down that initial price.

Seems rather expensive I shan't be buying at that price.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 am

Just received the deluxe version of Propaganda's a secret wish. Sounds amazing on my big hi-fi, slightly surprised Absolute 80s don't play more of this album.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to Music