Depeche Mode

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Depeche Mode

Postby JJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:51 pm

I've only listened to it once. In my early opinion it's the worst album they've ever done. But also because it's them I'll keep going/trying.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:19 am

JJ wrote:I've only listened to it once. In my early opinion it's the worst album they've ever done. But also because it's them I'll keep going/trying.

So how good/bad is it on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 for excellent 1 for dire
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:46 am

SubHuman wrote:So how good/bad is it on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 for excellent 1 for dire

Why ask me when you already know how good/bad it is? It's "okay, not up to their usual standard," remember? :p
JJ

Postby Pauline » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 pm

They're playing at the BBC6 Music festival in Glasgow tomorrow. You can watch it live on BBC red button :-)
Pauline

Postby JJ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:04 am

I'm beginning to see glimmers of something I can cling to in it before entirely discarding it...like I said, just because it's them I'll keep going.

Panzermensch wrote:Stand out tracks for me...You Move (has a bit of My Joy vibe about it)

Tell me this, Niels: what do you make of the missing note that goes all the way through You Move? For me, DM have always been one of those bands that challenges you when you're listening, usually through little notes here and there that add a great extra layer to their songs (one of the best examples of this is Only When I Lose Myself - a fairly ordinary song that gets totally lifted by those additional notes). Sometimes it's a key change that I'm not expecting. I'm all for being challenged, but I'm finding that dropped out note VERY annoying - in fact I'd say I find it jarring. Total pain really, because I like a lot the deep bass line through the chorus. I wonder whether they did it only to be different rather than because it adds to the song (I don't think it does)? What do you think, my friend?
JJ

Postby Panzermensch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:55 am

JJ wrote:I'm beginning to see glimmers of something I can cling to in it before entirely discarding it...like I said, just because it's them I'll keep going.

Panzermensch wrote:Stand out tracks for me...You Move (has a bit of My Joy vibe about it)

Tell me this, Niels: what do you make of the missing note that goes all the way through You Move? For me, DM have always been one of those bands that challenges you when you're listening, usually through little notes here and there that add a great extra layer to their songs (one of the best examples of this is Only When I Lose Myself - a fairly ordinary song that gets totally lifted by those additional notes). Sometimes it's a key change that I'm not expecting. I'm all for being challenged, but I'm finding that dropped out note VERY annoying - in fact I'd say I find it jarring. Total pain really, because I like a lot the deep bass line through the chorus. I wonder whether they did it only to be different rather than because it adds to the song (I don't think it does)? What do you think, my friend?

I found the missing note JJ :p

What does it for me with You Move is the deep bass and the Kraftwerk-esque synth hook. Good album track with throw away lyrics. But to be honest I'm not quite sure what you mean by "dropped out note"?

As for Spirit being their worst album to date, I woulnd't go that far. It's certainly in my bottom 5 of their released albums, but I do feel it offers me more than Exciter, SOTU and to an extent DeMa.
Panzermensch

Postby cs15 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 pm

So 'Spirit' landed at #5 this week in the UK chart. Not bad. Most 80's bands would give their right arm to land a top 5 album these days. Be interesting to see how long it stays around for.
cs15

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 am

Panzermensch wrote:But to be honest I'm not quite sure what you mean by "dropped out note"?

Surely you've noticed that there is a missing beat in the bar every few bars? If not, trying clapping to the song - I've no idea how Gahan stays on the note, it messes with my head!
JJ

Postby Stig Olsen » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:55 pm

JJ wrote:Surely you've noticed that there is a missing beat in the bar every few bars? If not, trying clapping to the song - I've no idea how Gahan stays on the note, it messes with my head!
If you go by the (digital) hand claps and count them when he starts to sing - the third in each pace hits a split second earlier than the two others - it's not happening in the chorus, though.

If it's that you mean, John - I'm with you - it's bleedin' annoying, but I like the track!
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Yep, that's what I'm referring to.
JJ

Postby JJ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:33 am

Have to say I'm on the verge of abandoning it to listen to as a whole album. I'm more likely now just to listen to the handful of tracks that I think are okay. I hate to do that seeing as it's them and they've "earned" the right to be listened to multiple times/given a chance due to what they've done before, but generally I know pretty quickly whether I like something or not, and this album - for me - has few redeeming features.

As discussed previously I'm well and truly over their live rock stuff, but always held a candle for their studio stuff. But WTR was the first single of theirs - ever - that I didn't buy (the remixes, bar one, are the usual unrecognisable deep beats shite stuff), and I genuinely don't feel bothered at all that I won't be seeing them tour, probably ever again.

My very brief take on each track:

1. Going Backwards - OK, nothing like as strong an opening track as on many of their other albums.
2. Where's The Revolution - Not a strong lead single, but one of the better tracks on the album.
3. The Worst Crime - DM in slow bluesy track shocker. Interesting lyrics, but the music... zzzz.
4. Scum - Quite like this one, but I'm not a fan of the distorted vocals. I do very much like the music around the "Pull the trigger!" bit.
5. You Move - as per previous posts, I actually like this a lot EXCEPT for the missing beat which does my feckin' head in.
6. Cover Me - another slow one, quite like it.
7. Eternal - another slow one, but this time MLG disappears up his own derriere. I think it's very dull and may well never play this again.
8. Poison Heart - (yet) another slow one, back in the bluesy feel. I like the music, lyrics are OK too.
9. So Much Love - DM does krautrock. Breaks up the run of slow tracks. It's OK, will get the black swarm jumping around when they do it live.
10. Poorman - back in slow Mode, but one of the better ones, some interesting music.
11. No More (This Is The Last Time) - the song's right, it is the last time! I think it's OK.
12. Fail - another slow one to finish the album. Someone wake me up, please. I think this one is pretty dull apart from a couple of nice squishy synth noises and a decent instrumental break. I also (in general terms) dislike swearing in songs, and for the first time ever a DM song has the f word (which I never use, obviously. :)) I don't know, I just find Martin-sung songs more and more annoying these days. I think it might be his voice; I find his vibrato gets on my nerves a little bit.

I can't be arsed to comment on the extra 5 Jungle Spirit remixes.

To summarise, I'd say it was okay, not up to their usual standard. ;)
JJ

Postby Panzermensch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 am

JJ wrote:
Panzermensch wrote:But to be honest I'm not quite sure what you mean by "dropped out note"?

Surely you've noticed that there is a missing beat in the bar every few bars? If not, trying clapping to the song - I've no idea how Gahan stays on the note, it messes with my head!

I've been known to miss a beat when in the bar =D Given the track another listen, there may be something with the beat, but nothing that grates me. I'm sure they've just created it to annoy you :p
Panzermensch

Postby JJ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 am

Panzermensch wrote:I'm sure they've just created it to annoy you :p

Well it worked.

Unlike the rest of the album!!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Classic Pop reviewed it and said it's 'their best album in 20 years'.

I listened to it once the whole way through and nearly fell asleep.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:10 am

So when I said "okay, not up to there usual standard" I was right, didn't know I had such great intuition :p

Damn it I'm going to have to buy it now just to find out :/
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:50 am

SubHuman wrote:So when I said "okay, not up to there usual standard" I was right, didn't know I had such great intuition

Alternatively, I was taking the piss....
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:39 am

JJ wrote:
SubHuman wrote:So when I said "okay, not up to there usual standard" I was right, didn't know I had such great intuition

Alternatively, I was taking the piss....

Surely not? Knowing what a lovely person you are John! ;)
SubHuman

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 am

Tonight is Depeche Mode night on BBC Four. Starting at 9pm with DM at the BBC, this programme will feature clips and interviews focusing on the earlier part of their career as most of their TOTP studio performances took place in the 80s. This is followed by their recent performance at the 6 Music Festival at Glasgow's Barrowlands venue. Finally the film 101 will be screened from 11 - 1am. For more info click on the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/schedules/bbcfour
Knowlesy

Postby SubHuman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 am

Knowlesy wrote:Tonight is Depeche Mode night on BBC Four. Starting at 9pm with DM at the BBC, this programme will feature clips and interviews focusing on the earlier part of their career as most of their TOTP studio performances took place in the 80s. This is followed by their recent performance at the 6 Music Festival at Glasgow's Barrowlands venue. Finally the film 101 will be screened from 11 - 1am. For more info click on the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/schedules/bbcfour

Thanks for that, I've set these to be recorded. :p
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up Knowlesy.

I see The Best Of Depeche Mode is at #60 for the 2nd week in the U.K. Charts. Had it been rereleased??
cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm

cs15 wrote:Thanks for the heads up Knowlesy.

I see The Best Of Depeche Mode is at #60 for the 2nd week in the U.K. Charts. Had it been rereleased??

I don't think so Patric. I think that's the result of good promo for the new album. There's a feature about the Violator era in a magazine called Long Live Vinyl out now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

She had the cutest ass he'd ever seen
He did too, they were meant to be
Knowlesy

Postby cs15 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 pm

According to an interview in Hot Press, DM are planning on a Dublin gig later this year but no details yet. I'm in two minds about going or not.
cs15

Postby JJ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 am

My take on those things Patric is that if you have the opportunity, take it. You never know when you won't have another opportunity, through whatever the circumstances - health, moving away, the band splits up etc.
JJ

Postby cs15 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 am

Yeah, you're right but it they are including a large chunk of 'Spirit' then I just don't think it'll be worth it. I've booked tickets for Alison Moyet later this year on the strength of the last 'Minutes' gig despite not hearing the yet unreleased new album. I also have tickets for Kraftwerk & Pet Shop Boys too so not too bothered if I miss DM.
cs15

Postby Panzermensch » Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 pm

I'm off tonight for the tour premiere in Stockholm tomorrow, should be a cracker :)
Panzermensch

PreviousNext

Return to Music